Ira A. Shapiro, DC, director of the Plaza Chiropractic Center in Old Bridge, New Jersey, was inducted into the American Chiropractic Association (ACA) Sports Council Hall of Fame during ceremonies held October 14 at the organization’s annual symposium in Denver, Colorado. Shapiro is only the 11th chiropractor in the association’s 45-year history to be honored with this prestigious distinction. “This is a truly special honor,” says Dr. Carly Zuehlke, the newly-named ACA Sports Council president. “Dr. Shapiro is among the very few ever awarded this achievement. There is no higher recognition in sports chiropractic.”
- ACA hires quality expert Angela Kennedy, DC, to expand professional development
- HawkGrips supports Foundation for Chiropractic Progress
- National Chiropractic Health Month Begins Oct. 1
The number of Americans abusing prescription painkillers has leveled off in recent years, but there is no apparent decline yet. That’s the finding of a new study tracking the U.S. opioid abuse problem. Researchers found that after a large spike in the early 2000s, Americans’ misuse of prescription opioid painkillers has plateaued in recent years. Still, the issue isn’t going away: By 2014, the most recent survey year, close to 14 percent of U.S. adults and teenagers had ever abused the drugs — which include Vicodin (hydrocodone), OxyContin (oxycodone) and morphine.
- Cancers associated with obesity make up 40 percent of cancers diagnosed in U.S.
- Being in a good mood for your flu shot boosts its effectiveness
- New research on probiotics in the prevention and treatment of colon cancer
Foot Levelers has kicked off two farewell-to-2017 promotions with huge savings on custom-made functional orthotics and Shoethotics. Simply use code CHEERS for great pricing on custom orthotics, including the #1 doctor recommended InMotion featuring silver for odor control and Celliant for a research-proven boost in energy and stamina. Use code SHOES25 to save big on any pair of Shoethotics and Sandalthotics. These promotions are good through December 31st, 2017, and are great ways to encourage patients to invest their FSA/HSA dollars before the year end.
- PayDC Chiropractic Software hires Evan M. Gwilliam, DC, as Clinical Director
- Fulcrum Health, Inc. receives Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award for patient satisfaction
- Foot Levelers donates 150 laptops to its local public school system
Life University (LIFE) takes pride in partnering with the Georgia Swarm with sponsorship of its 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20 lacrosse seasons. The Georgia Swarm are a box lacrosse team in the National Lacrosse League (NLL) and play at the 11,190-seat Infinite Energy Arena (formerly the The Arena at Gwinnett Center) in Duluth, Georgia. Team owner, John J. Arlotta, stated that, “The sport of lacrosse is growing at a rapid pace in Georgia, and we’re thrilled to bring the fastest game on two feet at the professional level to the arena.” It is due to this amazing growth that Life University is pleased to sponsor the team for the next three years.
- Life U’s online M.S. psychology program ranked ninth in country
- Sherman College breaks ground on Drs. Thom & Betty Gelardi Student Center
- Life U hosts 2nd annual Baseball and Sports Performance Conference